Mobile Passport Control
FY2016 saw the expansion of various travel facilitation initiatives such as Mobile Passport Control and Automated Passport Control. In FY2016, CBP launched Mobile Passport Control at 15 additional airports, meeting CBP’s goal of 20 airports before the end of FY2016. Currently, over 580,000 U.S. and Canadian citizens are using the Mobile Passport app for entry into the country. Similarly, CBP extended Automated Passport Control (APC) kiosks to 8 additional airports for a total of 42 airports and have expanded eligibility of the program to a larger number of persons. APC is now responsible for processing biographic information for more than 58 million travelers.
Trusted Traveler Programs
Regarding trusted traveler initiatives, over 5 million users are now enrolled in CBP’s trusted traveler programs (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, and FAST). Global Entry, CBP’s premier program, alone has more than 3.4 million enrolled members. Additionally, citizens from Colombia, Singapore, and the UK are now eligible for membership in the program.
Regarding the TFTEA; the legislation supports CBP’s Business Transformation Initiatives such as the expansion of Centers of Excellence and Expertise (CEEs), and modernization and simplification of duty refunds. Additionally, as the most comprehensive reauthorization of CBP to date, TFTEA helps strengthen CBP’s trade enforcement powers in:
- Protecting Intellectual Property Rights
- Enforcing Antidumping / Countervailing Duties
- Preventing entry of Forced Labor-Derived goods
In regards to trade, CBP in FY2016 has:
- Processed $2.28 trillion in imports, equating to 32.6 million entries, and more than 27 million imported cargo containers at U.S. ports of entry, an increase of 3 percent from FY2015.
- Collected approximately $40.1 billion in duties, taxes, and other fees, including more than $35.2 billion in duties.
- Implemented the Commercial Truck User Fee pilot program to modernize revenue collection by allowing commercial trucks to prepay the single-crossing user fee online prior to arrival at a port of entry.
- Operationalized all 10 Centers of Excellence and Expertise which transform the way CBP approaches trade operations and works with the international trade community.